Sometimes everyone needs a little reminder to smile. Whether you’re having a bad day, or just want a little extra joy, here are 10 reasons to smile today.
1. You are alive. In the words of Kid President from Soul Pancake, “This is life people. You got air coming through your nose. You got a heartbeat. That means its time to do something.” Look, life is short. Make it meaningful. Do more of what makes you happy. Spend more time being surrounded by your loved ones. Follow your passions, and stop caring what other people think. Take a deep breath, and live.
2. You are loved. Deeply and wildly, and often times, more than you know. Your life matters and affects so many people. It is easy to feel alone in this world, to feel as though no one is on your side. But that’s not true. In the words of the Canadian poet Shane Koyczan, “In the unlikely event that you have no one, look again.” Someone will be there for you. Always remember on top of your Earthly support system, you are loved fiercely by God. You are so, so loved today and everyday!
3. Puppies, kitties, and every cute animal on this earth. This section probably doesn’t need much more explanation. But everyday, an animal in the pound gains a forever family. Everyday, a new litter of puppies and kittens are born. Some baby birds are taking their first flight today. The cuteness never ends.
4. You have so much to be grateful for. The fact that you woke up today is a reason to be overjoyed! Really take a moment to think of all the blessings present in your life. You can be thankful for the bigger things, like your friends and family, house, and health. Or you can even focus on little things that just tend to bring a smile to your face. Your new favorite pair of shoes, some artwork a friend made, or your pet. Often you are trained to constantly have a craving for more in your heart. Try to realize that acquiring more won’t fulfill that hole, and try to show a little love to what is in your life now.
5. Sports, hobbies, and passions. There is one thing more than any other activity that sets your soul on fire. Perhaps it’s basketball. Maybe you love photography. Perhaps you look forward to writing on your blog. Whatever you love to do, do more of it. Set fun goals for yourself and watch your progress. Having a passion can give your life so much value. It gives you something to continue to look forward to exploring. Enjoy it. Take some time to truly discover, what is your passion?
6. Sunrises and sunsets. At the beginning of everyday, the sun rises. It lifts over the tree lines and chases away the dark. The sunrise is a sign of a new start for every person on this Earth. A chance for you to use your time however you wish. At the end of the day, the sun begins to set. The sky turns into a beautiful masterpiece of blended pinks, oranges, and yellows. It’s a glorious build up, and then before you know it, the sun is gone and nighttime is fast approaching. Then the process starts all over again.
7. Food. One of the simplest yet best pleasures on this Earth. Food connects you to those around you. So often, you find yourself making plans to go out and eat with friends, family, or business partners. Food is something that every single person on this planet needs, yet is unique to each person. You may like one taste, while someone else hates it. And across different cultures, what is normal to you is may be foreign to another. Food not only nourishes the body, but it builds relationships and community. From your grandmother’s pie, to your dad’s pasta, what is your favorite meal?
8. Flowers and nature. In case you haven’t noticed, the Earth is literally gorgeous. Each mountain, river, desert, and canyon contributes to its beauty. Plants undergo changes every year just so that they may eventually bloom (or blossom). And the detail in each and every single flower is stunning. See, our Earth is like a chain system. Every plant has an effect on an animal, which in turn, has an effect on us. The beauty lies in the complexity that is overlooked everyday.
9. Your favorite memory. Think back to a time where you felt truly happy. A time where you were enjoying the moment and not being distracted by the challenges of your everyday life. Maybe your favorite memory is your first concert with friends. Maybe it’s some special time you spent with your grandparents. Maybe it’s a family vacation to a desirable area. Whatever it is, try to revisit that memory. Who were you with? How did they make you feel? Soak into the joyous memory and smile.
10. The fact that you’ve made it this far. Every single trial you have faced up until this moment has not been able to stop you. All those times that you were knocked down, you got up and moved on. There have been moments where you doubted your own abilities, and you didn’t believe you would make it through to the other end. But the truth is, you are stronger than you know, and you are more resilient than you are aware. You have the power to be the person you want to be. You have the power to live the life you want to live. Isn’t that a reason to smile?
“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.” Romans 15:13